Translation -

For those of you who don't live out of a book called "Korean At a Glance" the title translates into - I don't understand korean. ... Hello? I am taking on South Korea in a small town 60 minutes north west of Busan. I am 1 of a few foreigners in my very small town of 40,000 - another being my boyfriend. Together we are discovering ... well everything, Korean. Enjoy! Andrew's Blog



12.01.2010

Lost in Narnia

Recently Andrew and I watched both the first and second movies of Narnia.  They were quite good, and if you have never seen them I do recommend it.  I learned that there was 7 chronicles to Narnia and had to have it!  Being that I am in dire need of a good book, I ordered it online for 15 dollars.  The whole 700 page book only cost $15 and arrived in just 3 days!  That's way better than amazon ever was.  The only downside about "gmarket" is that it is in mostly Korean and flashes rapidly 100 photos at you - calling for a sever headache. (so i had glen order it, but what's the difference.)  I have been trying to read it whenever I can.  So far it is great.  But while we didn't have a kitchen I could only read in the bedroom, and since Andrew needs 0% light on when sleeping I wasn't allowed to read at night (or be on the computer for that matter).  Anyways I found myself only being able to read while at work.  In between classes I get about 2 solid hours of reading in.  To increase my Narnia intake I bought a book lamp. Andrew took the photo below.
As awesome as this book light looks, it is deceiving.  I haven't even used it yet because I'm not desperate enough to hold it up while I read.  when attached to this ~2-3 inch book it doesn't even stretch it's neck long enough to shed light over my pages. "insert sad face here".  But the point is that it is a very good book and everyone should read it.  It actually reminds be of Harry Potter a little bit, and i think it would be a great Christmas present for my cousin Jack - but maybe the version with 7 books instead of a 700 page book so he doesn't get discouraged at the look of it.  

Last Sunday Andrew and I had a great plan to climb the local mountain and sit in the new pavilion and read for an hour or so.  Unfortunately we didn't leave for our hike till about 2:30 and with the sun setting directly over the mountain I knew as soon as we got up there we would have to come back down if we didn't want to get stuck in the dark, with no light.  I followed my gut on this one and told Andrew he can continue to climb the -what seems like 1000 steps- mountain by himself and I would stay at the temple below- the beginning of the hill- and read there.  It was very peaceful and during the hour I waited only 2 people walked by.  Here is a visual!
They say a picture describes 1000 words, well what about 17 photos all merged together.  I attempted to merge them myself and it was taking so long and I wanted to post it before going to bed so the photos weren't altered much to look like one photo.   But hopefully you can see how great this place was to read at.  Until it got really cold so I ditched Andrew and walked home before he got back down the hill.

The day before we went to Home Plus.  It was quite a long experience and I think Andrew blogged about it, but my experience was it was like Christmas! We both got home and opened our goodies.  Here is what I purchased below - it's a much smaller pile then Andrew's.
You can see the book light in the back ground along with some Yerba Tea (very health and expensive tea).  Some fancy bread in the soup bowl. A bottle of cheap wine and a wine opener.  And my favorite of all nice warm ear-muffs I bought for our trip to Seoul over New Years.  They are very warm and you can see me sporting them in my posed picture reading the book above.  They were the most expensive item at 11,000 won ~roughly 9.50 dollars.  Well that's all for tonight.  Hopefully I'll get more in soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment