Translation -

For those of you who don't live out of a book called "Korean At a Glance" the title translates into - I don't understand korean. ... Hello? I am taking on South Korea in a small town 60 minutes north west of Busan. I am 1 of a few foreigners in my very small town of 40,000 - another being my boyfriend. Together we are discovering ... well everything, Korean. Enjoy! Andrew's Blog



12.07.2010

The Girl With the Apple Red Muffler

It was my first Korean birthday, and it was splendid.  Being an only child I announced to Andrew that it was my birthday at exactly 12:05 in Korean time (which was 9 am the day before back home). Shortly after, I discovered that it was thick with fog outside and felt the need to go take lots of cool pictures.




The next morning Andrew (thought he) snuck out to get me my favorite chocolates and a cake.   Both Kang and Hong stopped bye to give me gifts and wish me a Happy Birthday. We  also talked to all of our family and rushed (we were late again) to work.  After work we went to a Shabu-Shabu restaurant with Glen and Luke, and Julie (Luke's sister and her Husband Mr. Lee) . It's a cast iron pot that you boil some soup in and then meat.  After you eat the meat you put in noodles, then when that it is gone you fry up some rice in the pan.  It was all very good.  After dinner we did cake and MORE presents!  

shabu-shabu

one of my students, Xavier, gave me a birthday gift.  this was his super cute card he made me.
cake for all

After a great dinner we went to a Karaoke room and sung some great classic American and Korean songs from Brittany Spears and Aqua (very classy).  We even threw in some hard rock for Andrew and a good Eric Clapton slow song as the night ended. 






picking out songs at in the karaoke room
Saturday I managed to convince Andrew that it was STILL my birthday (mostly because it was my birthday back home).  We relaxed most of the day skyping and then went to a coffee house to do some reading and thank you cards for our great friends here in Jinyeong.  Then we went out to dinner and had San Gyup Sal.  We meant to order Won Caul Bea, but it was still pretty good. 


Sunday (still milking my birthday)  we went shopping at an outlet mall and the largest department store in the world.  I'm not just saying that, it actually is in the Guinness world book of records.  It was 7 stories tall with 4 stories of parking.  That was after another great meal with our friends Kang and his wife (Mrs. Kang) and their 7 month old Minn-Ge (we named him Henry), and a little dip in the Haeundae beach.  By dip I mean I was trying to take a picture of the waves, and instead the waves engulfed me and my shoes :(

my foot prints after falling in the water
A side note.  The Apple Red Muffler is an extremely long and warm scarf.  It's a very pretty color and was given to me as a gift by Julie and her husband. 

Thank you to everyone who made my 23rd birthday the greatest -  Mom & Dad, Grandma, Andrew, Glen & Luke, Kang & Mrs Kang - Henry and Xavier, Julie & Mr. Lee

And to everyone else for their birthday wishes!!  and I'll have my birthday posted on flickr soon.









No comments:

Post a Comment