Translation -

For those of you who don't live out of a book called "Korean At a Glance" the title translates into - I don't understand korean. ... Hello? I am taking on South Korea in a small town 60 minutes north west of Busan. I am 1 of a few foreigners in my very small town of 40,000 - another being my boyfriend. Together we are discovering ... well everything, Korean. Enjoy! Andrew's Blog



11.16.2010

Rumor has it...

Excited to move to a different country for 12 months I wanted to be fully prepared for my trip.  So I researched all the things I couldn't get in Korea and brought all my American amenities with me.  Including an entire year's supply of tampons. Which included 9 1/2 boxes, approximately 350 in count and 6 different sizes.  This also included an 8 pack of bar soap, 7 bars of deodorant, and 4 different types of face washes.  Yes I would say that I'm well prepared for this trip.  Not only did all of that put me over on the scale as a checked in my baggage 3 weeks ago, but I learned today that if my mom is to send me a 10 lb box from home it will cost roughly 150 dollars!!!   Needless to say we are all happy I packed 350 tampons in my bags.

As I was reading what can not be bought in Korean E Marts, I read that it is very common for public toilets to not supply toilet paper.  It is expected that you carry a roll of toilet paper around with you, pretty much at all times.  That being the rumor, I even informed Andrew of this, and considered doing just that and bringing toilet paper with me.  Well to give you all the facts (because learning about how many tampons I brought just wasn't personal enough)  this rumor is TRUE!  Andrew and I went to Masan last weekend and we walked 8.5 miles from the train station, down to the ports, and back up through the fish market.  With 8 minutes to spare before we boarded the train home we both ran to the bathroom.  Luckily I only had to do number one, because to my horror there was NO toilet paper in the stales.  Not even a paper dispenser.  I'll let you use your imagination as to what I had to use for toilet paper instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment