Translation -

For those of you who don't live out of a book called "Korean At a Glance" the title translates into - I don't understand korean. ... Hello? I am taking on South Korea in a small town 60 minutes north west of Busan. I am 1 of a few foreigners in my very small town of 40,000 - another being my boyfriend. Together we are discovering ... well everything, Korean. Enjoy! Andrew's Blog



11.03.2010

becoming a teacher

okay class, is everyone ready??? repeat after me _________.   The next 365 days will start with this.  Am I ready? I think so.  As of right now we only have 5 students, and 4 classes to teach.  We have been training for about a week and half and have been given a great deal of information to use.  Some schools are not laid out for the teachers like ours.  Some schools the teachers have to come up with the material to use, get the books for the students, grade lots of homework, and come up with there own lesson plan.  We just have to know our material for the day and follow the steps and timeline.  Though there is a lot of information to know, I feel it will be much nicer than having the pressure of doing everything ourselves.  Specially since I didn't major in child education. 

There are lots of students here, and our school is estimated to have 200, if not more, students in about 6-7 months.  We live in such a small town we were finding this hard to believe, but today we saw the public schools and the elementary school has about 1,000 students and the middle school has about 3,300 students.  From what I can see there are 3-4 other English schools, but we think that Koreans teach at them.  So from what we have learned, Koreans really like Americans and so our school will have no problem herding in the students.  

This is also a great school for us, because our teaching skills get to advance at the same rate as our student population increases.  So wish me luck on becoming a teacher!! Tomorrow is our first day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment